The Australian businesses leading the way in sustainable packaging design and innovation were celebrated at the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation’s (APCO) Annual Awards, with Arnott’s Group taking home the prestigious Sustainable Packaging Excellence Award.
The Arnott’s Group won the Sustainable Packaging Excellence Award for establishing a sustainable packaging strategy that addresses the Sustainable Packaging Guidelines, incorporating initiatives across the entire packaging value chain from design, production and use of packaging, through to disposal, recovery and the use of recycled material.
The business has successfully reduced the weight of its packaging, incorporated recycled content, and has commenced transitioning its soft plastic packaging from multi-layer films to a 100 per cent recyclable mono-layer film.
Other award recipients included Sarah Baylis, packaging innovation manager from Fonterra Brands, who took home the coveted Sustainability Champion Award. She took home the evening’s standout individual prize in recognition of leading the New Zealand ARL implementation programme for the NZFGC with APCO.
This year’s event also included several new awards dedicated to the small businesses championing sustainable packaging – with winners including J C & A T Searle, Australian Garlic Producers, COMSOL and Glow Consumer Products.
More than 180 guests from the packaging and recycling industry came together to celebrate the outstanding work of the 28 award-winning organisations over the last 12 months. The awards were handed out to organisations representing a broad range of sectors including agriculture and nurseries, electronics, healthcare and scientific and manufacturing.
The APCO Awards recognise businesses that have gone above and beyond to implement best practice approaches to sustainable packaging design, demonstrate industry leadership and a commitment to sustainability education.
The finalists and winners (full list below) were selected based on their performance in sustainable packaging design, recycling initiatives and product stewardship programs to develop sustainable supply chains.
APCO CEO Chris Foley said, “Each and every one of the award winners and finalists have demonstrated excellence in, and an incredible commitment to, sustainable packaging innovation, design and leadership. It’s heartening to see the progress that Australian industry is making, with more and more businesses choosing to lead and champion change on this issue.”
The winners include:
2022 Industry Sector Award Winners
The winners for the Industry Sector Awards and Industry Sector Awards (SME):
- Agriculture and Nurseries – Richgro Garden Products
- Chemicals, Hardware, and Machinery – Clorox Australia Pty Ltd
- Electronics – Dell Australia Pty Ltd
- Food & Beverage – The Arnott’s Group
- General Merchandise and Apparel – Blundstone Australia Pty Ltd
- Healthcare & Scientific – Emeis Cosmetics Pty Ltd
- Large Retailer – Officeworks Ltd
- Logistics and Warehousing – CHEP AUSTRALIA LIMITED
- Packaging Manufacturer and Supplier – Disruptive Packaging Pty Ltd
- Telecommunications – Telstra Corporation Limited
- Tobacco – British American Tobacco Australia
2022 Highest Performing SME Industry Sector Award Winners
The Highest Performing SME Member Awards are made up of seven industry categories:
- Agriculture and Nurseries – J C & A T Searle Pty Ltd
- Chemicals, Hardware, and Machinery – WD-40 Company (Australia) Pty Limited
- Electronics – COMSOL PTY LTD
- Food & Beverage – Flavour Creations Pty Ltd
- General Merchandise and Apparel – Glow Consumer Products Pty. Ltd.
- Healthcare & Scientific – Thankyou Group Pty Ltd
- Packaging Manufacturer and Supplier – O F Packaging Pty Ltd
Outstanding Achievement Awards:
- Outstanding Achievement Award in Recycled Content – Mars Australia Pty Ltd
- Outstanding Achievement Award in Design & Procurement – Emeis Cosmetics Pty Ltd
Our Packaging Futures Awards:
- Our Packaging Future Award in Industry Education – Bunzl Limited
- Our Packaging Future Award in Consumer Education – Visy Industries Australia Pty Ltd
- Our Packaging Future Award in Improved Recycling Systems – Closed Loop Environmental Solutions
- Our Packaging Future Award in End-Market Development – Grounded Packaging
Highest Performing New Member Awards:
- Highest Performing New Member – Hilton Foods Australia
- Highest Performing New Members (SME) – Australian Garlic producers Pty Ltd
Sustainability Champion Award
- Sarah Baylis (Fonterra Brands)
Sustainable Packaging Excellence Award
- The Arnotts Group